The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens is Australia’s second oldest botanic gardens and was established on the Queen’s Domain in 1818. The Gardens is sited on the western bank of the Derwent River, two kilometres from the city centre, adjacent to Government House.
6,000 exotic and Australian native species are planted in 14 hectares (33 acres) of land.
Open daily at 8am. Free admission.
Accessible parking zones are provided at the main entrance car park (enter off Tasman Highway). An easy access pathway leads from the main entrance to the pond, Restaurant, Visitor Centre, Gardens Shop, Conservatory, Japanese Gardens and other main features in the Gardens. Wheelchairs are available for loan upon request. An easy access garden provides horticultural therapy opportunities for older people and people with disabilities. Accessible toilets are provided.